CIA Chiefs Face Arrest Over Horrific Evidence of Bloody “Video Game” Sorties by Drone Pilots
The Mail on Sunday today reveals shocking new evidence of the full horrific impact of US drone attacks in Pakistan.
A damning dossier assembled from exhaustive research into the strikes’ targets sets out in heartbreaking detail the deaths of teachers, students and Pakistani policemen. It also describes how bereaved relatives are forced to gather their loved ones’ dismembered body parts in the aftermath of strikes.
The dossier has been assembled by human rights lawyer Shahzad Akbar, who works for Pakistan’s Foundation for Fundamental Rights and the British human rights charity Reprieve.
Filed in two separate court cases, it is set to trigger a formal murder investigation by police into the roles of two US officials said to have ordered the strikes. They are Jonathan Banks, former head of the Central Intelligence Agency’s Islamabad station, and John A. Rizzo, the CIA’s former chief lawyer. Mr Akbar and his staff have already gathered further testimony which has yet to be filed.
We have statements from a further 82 victims’ families relating to more than 30 drone strikes,’ he said. ‘This is their only hope of justice.’
In the first case, which has already been heard by a court in Islamabad, judgment is expected imminently. If the judge grants Mr Akbar’s petition, an international arrest warrant will be issued via Interpol against the two Americans.
The second case is being heard in the city of Peshawar. In it, Mr Akbar and the families of drone victims who are civilians are seeking a ruling that further strikes in Pakistani airspace should be viewed as ‘acts of war’.
They argue that means the Pakistan Air Force should try to shoot down the drones and that the government should sever diplomatic relations with the US and launch murder inquiries against those responsible.
According to a report last month by academics at Stanford and New York universities, between 2,562 and 3,325 people have been killed since the strikes in Pakistan began in 2004.
The report said of those, up to 881 were civilians, including 176 children. Only 41 people who had died had been confirmed as ‘high-value’ terrorist targets.
Getting at the truth is difficult because the tribal regions along the frontier are closed to journalists. US security officials continue to claim that almost all those killed are militants who use bases in Pakistan to launch attacks on Western forces across the border in Afghanistan.
In his only acknowledgement that the US has ever launched such attacks at all, President Barack Obama said in January: ‘This is a targeted, focused effort at people who are on a list of active terrorists, who are trying to go in and harm Americans.’
But behind the dry legal papers seen by The Mail on Sunday lies the most detailed investigation into individual strikes that has yet been carried out. It suggests that the US President was mistaken.
- morextrememe reblogged this from weakexterior
- weakexterior reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- arshmeen reblogged this from talldarkarab
- someassemblyrequiredd likes this
- thecoffeebreaklife reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- moomfordandsons reblogged this from avainguard
- strugglesofdunya likes this
- drvonskillet likes this
- sorryidontswim likes this
- ptosistwitcheye reblogged this from awwwsomeashley
- awwwsomeashley reblogged this from whatmyfuturelookslike
- whatmyfuturelookslike reblogged this from actyourrage
- cat-drool likes this
- deaphening-silence reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- actyourrage reblogged this from lilgodzilla
- fayt-e reblogged this from child-of-the-universe
- lovelessneko reblogged this from ghostline
- ghostline reblogged this from christiantheatheist
- cuterthanpushkin likes this
- the-dark-side-of-the-enterprise reblogged this from sadnessfactory
- xaipe likes this
- sadnessfactory reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- blindingsight likes this
- 57648053959 reblogged this from hijabonita
- jadedhippy reblogged this from punkpedagogy
- dallasd likes this
- davidr22 reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- redcdumpy reblogged this from trianglejake
- trianglejake reblogged this from sambarrrrrr
- mylifeasunusual reblogged this from lifeisliterallylimited
- nepteta likes this
- sambarrrrrr reblogged this from theirishtaoist
- caliginouscaper reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- anotheriteration reblogged this from punkpedagogy and added:
- shegufta reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- elektrokardiogrammatology likes this
- susurrations likes this
- theirishtaoist reblogged this from aglitteryfool
- aglitteryfool reblogged this from le-kif-kif and added:
- novaless likes this
- yanorayanora likes this
- mywholeeternity reblogged this from le-kif-kif and added:
- sailorv likes this
- esotericelephant reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- merryrobot reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- 1m6-5rc reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- louque likes this
- penisandpolitics likes this
- wordsonnapkins reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- punkpedagogy reblogged this from le-kif-kif and added: